A large mid-western pharmaceutical company planned to remodel an existing facility to accommodate the production of a finished pharmaceutical product. Constraints existed on both schedule and budget, as the project was competitively bid within the client company, with multiple geographic locations vying for the opportunity for the new production facility.
Performance Validation provided a dedicated team with a Project Leader experienced with managing qualification projects and interfacing effectively with diverse project teams. To ensure success the project execution plan required the following practices to be put into place.
Performance Validation worked with the client and project team to assist in defining the scope, determining user requirements, and determining engineering documentation (commissioning) requirements.
- The PV Project Leader assisted the site project team in aligning documents to meet corporate expectations with minimal impact to cost and schedule.
- The PV Project Leader was actively involved in weekly project status meetings, proactively monitored the schedule and provided direction to the team on courses of action to take when issues arose.
- Project Leader developed an Excel spreadsheet to facilitate communications to the project stakeholders that communicated overall health of the project and state of documents to keep the project team aware of Commissioning, Qualification and CSV needs throughout the project.
- PV Project Management included tracking each document in regards to budget, schedule and quality. Performance Validation’s engineers worked closely with both the client and the equipment vendors to troubleshoot and resolve all issues.
- The PV team created, executed (including Temperature Mapping), managed, and delivered more than 200 discrete documents across multiple systems which was necessary to turn over the facility in the production-ready state.
- The PV team took a proactive role in identifying automation issues which impacted qualification and the desired operation of the production equipment.
- The PV team interfaced effectively with the multi-faceted stakeholders including client automation, engineering, operations and maintenance personnel, as well as other contracting firms responsible for the remodel. Effective coordination between all entities was vital to ensuring the most efficient use of time to troubleshoot and resolve issues to minimize potential project delays.
The remodel of the facility was successfully completed on time, budget and exceeded the customer’s quality expectations. This was achieved through very careful planning, excellent teamwork and communication between the PV team and our customers, and the flexibility and dedication of team members willing to work long hours, nights and weekends, in order to meet the needs of the customer.
The completed project accomplished the following for the manufacturing facility:
- Provided a single product containment facility with current industry-standard qualification documents for the modified utilities and all new product process train equipment:
- Utilities consisted of Purified Water, Waste Water System, compressed Air, House Vacuum, Clean Steam, and two (2) Air Handler units.
- Process Train
- The new non-computerized equipment consisted of a Drum Containment System, Powder Transfer System, Tumble Bins, Floor Scale, Suspension Transfer System, portable pressure Washers, and Intermediate Bulk Containers.
- The new computerized equipment consisted of a Decelerator Station, Bin/Lift Tumbler, Roller Compactor, Tablet Press, Coating Pan and a Multi-Washer System.
For additional information, contact:
Division Director, Indiana
Performance Validation, LLC.
5420 W Southern Ave
(317) 727-8495 Mobile